This article covers all the information needed to get started with your virtual Plutus Card.
What is a virtual card?
A virtual card is a digital form of a payment card. Unlike traditional plastic cards, there is no physical component. Instead, all the card details are securely stored and accessible through the Plutus web or mobile app.
How does a virtual card work?
A virtual card, such as the Plutus virtual card, operates by being linked to your Plutus Account. After completing the necessary security verification process, your virtual card is created and linked to your account.
Once created, your virtual card details, including your card number, expiration date, and CVV (Card Verification Value), are securely stored within the Plutus web or mobile app. You can access these details whenever you need to make online purchases or subscriptions.
For in-person transactions, you can conveniently add your virtual card to compatible digital wallet platforms like Google Pay and make mobile payments at any location where NFC (Near Field Communication) payments are accepted.
How do I use my virtual card for online payments?
To make a payment online, enter the card details provided in the Plutus app during the payment process. The virtual card functions just like a traditional payment card, allowing you to complete the purchase securely and conveniently.
How do I use my virtual card for in-store payments?
You can add your virtual card to digital wallet platforms like Curve. This enables you to make contactless payments using your virtual card at physical stores or other locations that accept NFC payments.
Can I add my virtual card to Google Pay and Apple Pay?
Yes, you can add your Plutus virtual card to various digital wallet platforms.
- Google Pay - You can soon connect your Plutus virtual card to the Google Pay app. Simply follow the instructions provided by the app to add your virtual card and use it for contactless payments at supported merchants.
- Apple Pay - The functionality to add your Plutus virtual card directly to Apple Pay will be available in Q4. Apple users can make use of alternative services in the meantime like Curve. By adding your Plutus virtual card to Curve, you can then link Curve to your Apple Pay account and make payments in person using your virtual card through Curve's integration with Apple Pay.
Can I add my virtual card to Curve?
Yes, you can add your virtual card to Curve. Curve is a platform that allows you to consolidate multiple cards into one, providing a convenient way to manage your card payments. You can check out Curve here >
When can I get a virtual card?
- If you signed up for Plutus after June 11th, 2023: Virtual cards are currently being rolled out to customers in batches. Your virtual card will be made available to you shortly. The £/€20 that you pre-loaded into your account during sign-up will be ready for you to spend once your virtual card is activated.
- If you signed up for Plutus before June 11th, 2023: Virtual cards are currently being rolled out to customers in batches, starting in July/August. You will be eligible for a virtual card as part of this gradual release.
How do I get a virtual card?
Once you are eligible for a virtual card, you will receive comms from Plutus including an in-app pop-up.
Follow the instructions provided such as answering the security questions on screen. Once completed, we will generate a virtual card for you, which is instantly available for use.
You can immediately access the virtual card within the app and use it for online purchases and subscriptions without any activation process required. It's important to note that you won't receive a physical copy of the card since it exists solely in digital form.
Can I also order a physical card?
Absolutely! We are pleased to announce that our distinctive blue physical cards will be available for ordering in the coming months.
If you prefer to have a physical card in addition to your virtual card, you will have the option to order one.
It's important to note that both the virtual and physical cards will be linked to the same account balance. This means that any funds or transactions made with either card will be reflected in your account balance, providing you with a seamless and unified banking experience.
Can I request a second virtual card?
Currently, we support the provision of one virtual card per user at a time. This means that you can have one active virtual card associated with your account. We do not offer the option to request multiple virtual cards simultaneously.
Is a one-time use virtual card available?
While it is not currently offered, the concept of a one-time-use virtual card is being considered and is part of our future roadmap. However, at this time, we do not provide the option for one-time use of virtual cards.
How do I report a fraudulent virtual card transaction?
If you suspect fraudulent activity on your virtual card, it is important to take immediate action. Follow these steps to report a fraudulent virtual card transaction:
- Freeze your card: If you notice any suspicious transactions or unauthorized activity, promptly freeze your virtual card. This will help prevent further unauthorized charges while you resolve the issue.
- Contact support: Reach out to email@example.com and provide us with the necessary details, such as the transaction date, amount, and any other relevant information. We will guide you through the process of reporting the fraudulent transaction and take appropriate action to investigate and resolve the issue.
It is crucial to act quickly and report fraudulent transactions as soon as possible to mitigate any potential financial losses and protect your account. Remember to regularly monitor your virtual card transactions and report any suspicious activity promptly to ensure the security of your funds.
How do refunds work for a virtual card?
The refund process for a virtual card is the same as it would be for a physical card. There are no differences or special procedures involved.
When you request a refund for a purchase made with your virtual card, the merchant or service provider will typically initiate the refund to the original payment method used, which includes virtual cards. The refunded amount will be credited back to your virtual card balance.
It's important to note that refund processing times may vary depending on the merchant's policies and the payment provider involved. In general, refunds for virtual cards follow standard refund procedures, ensuring that you receive the refunded amount in a timely manner.
Where do I find my card details for my virtual card?
You can easily access the card details for your virtual card within the app. Follow these steps:
- Log in to the app and navigate to the "Card" tab.
- Look for the section related to your virtual card.
- Tap on the "View Card" option.
By selecting the "View Card" option, you will be able to see the complete card details, including the card number, expiration date, and CVV (Card Verification Value). These details are essential for making online purchases.
Remember to keep your virtual card details secure and avoid sharing them with unauthorized individuals or on untrusted platforms.